Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Gezi Park

Before I get into the latest of Turkey, I want to let you know there are few changes to my blog.  The leader of this "democracy" will now be called by his first three letters of his surname, Erd.  I have also removed all mention of the place I work for.  Although I am acting and speaking completely independently, I don't want the governing party to have the opportunity to disregard that fact and use anything I say against my workplace.  I am also going to be a little less forthcoming with giving my opinion.  I will try to give you all the information you know and let you come to your own opinions.

On Saturday, I headed out to Gezi Park with several colleagues to see it all in person.  Although clashes between the police and protesters have been and still are occurring all over Turkey, in Istanbul the police have completely pulled out of the protesting areas leaving the city fairly quiet and peaceful.  The five of us took the metro, which is once again running as normal, and emerged in the center of the transformed park.  It was an amazing sight to see.  Tent after tent stretched in all directions.  Tired college students dozed in front of signs advertising Free Hugs and Marijuana Permitting Tents.  For some of my older colleagues, the entire Gezi scene reminded them much of the protests of the 60s.

For a country that has not impressed me by its organization, I was astounded by what these protesters put together in less than a week.  In the center stood a large First Aid Tent and a Supply Tent, doling out blankets, toilet paper, and such.  Occupiers were coming up to it as we walked by, turning in their blankets they had used for the night.  Other supporters were donating supplies.  As we continued to walk, we came upon a road block that was covered in half used bottles of vinegar, whole lemons, and a several bottles containing a cloudy substance, all items used to fight the effects of tear gas.  Written in big letters on this road block is "Eczane" or "Pharmacy."   

A little further down, we came to the Gezi Vegetable Garden.  Dedicated gardeners were already at it, expanding the garden with what must be donated plants from more supporters.  We then came to a Children's Drawing Tent, where kids were busy making their own pieces of art.  We saw the famous Gezi library which was not much more than some donated book shelves and books.  I was happy to see the donations still flowing in.  I was even more happy to see some of the occupiers perusing the books.

The most fascinating part of the experience was actually talking to the protesters.  We talked to the gardener who was a very well-spoken and intelligent young man.  He talked a little about how it has been occupying the park the last few days.  After the police left, he said the park started to become like a festival.  Musicians were coming and performing regularly.  This happened for a few days until the leaders of the Gezi protesters decided this was not the kind of tone they wanted to set and asked them to leave.  He talked openly about the fact they don't know exactly what they want.  There is no leader for them to back.  They don't believe Erd is willing to make the changes they are demanding, but have nobody to turn to who will.

We also ran into a group of college students sitting under tents advertising "Chapulcu School."  He says they lay out mats on the floor and bring out a white board to start the instruction.  We offered to help teach and he laughed, saying he has over 20 teachers, but only 4 students and instead offered to teach us Turkish.

As we headed out of the park towards Taksim, we saw a huge stage that had been set up.  In a smaller stage, a man with a microphone had caught the attention of many and a group had gathered around him.  I wish I could tell you what he was saying, but just as I did many of the protesters' signs, I cluelessly walked by.

As we got to the edge of Taksim Square, the first signs of the protester and police stand-off became evident.  Several police vehicles which had been left by the police were damaged and covered in graffiti.  A small building which had been burned (you may have seen it on TV), now was covered in graffiti.  Nearby in an unharmed small building, a chapulcu museum had been started.  Inside the little two room building, pictures and slogans, some with little explanations, were covering the walls.

We continued to inch our way towards Taksim Square and Istiklal Caddessi, the long pedestrian walk famous to tourists and locals alike for food, shopping, and entertainment.  Life seemed a little more normal here.  Shoppers were going in and out of shops.  The normal vendors were on the streets.  That being said, the protesters had and still were making their mark on this famous area.  Groups marched down the streets.  Whereas the Gezi occupiers all seemed to fit a similar college student mold, the protesters on the streets showed more of the diversity of the movement.  Covered women, older couples, and children were all together marching down the street.  They marched by the graffitied walls (although the store fronts were largely untouched) and Ataturk paraphernalia-selling vendors.

Right now, this Gezi Park I described from Saturday is much changed.  This morning, police went into Taksim with water cannons and tear gas.   The police stayed out in Taksim Square, leaving the park and occupiers alone (although not without scaring them).  On TV, it appears the police found a group of rioters in Taksim who wanted to fight back.  These masked protesters were wearing helmets and throwing things back at the police.  The leaders of the Gezi movement have come out and said that these people were not members of their own group.  Many say that the "rioters" are in fact undercover police, an attempt to undermine the movement and give it bad publicity.  I will let you come up with your own opinion on that.

This afternoon, police invaded a courtroom and arrested lawyers who were announcing a press release for the Gezi Protests.  Over 50 lawyers were arrested.

No comments:

Post a Comment